June 19, 2011

place and identity

Pouch Cove is a special place, a place I feel I belong, grounded, rooted, and "right" being there.  Where do these feelings come from?  Is it because of the geographical location of the place, being so unique - the last town on the peninsula, the most northeasterly point of North America, the end of the road, the edge of the world.  What is behind the extremeness that makes Pouch Cove so special to me and to others?  I want to explore this feeling by talking to people of Pouch Cove, and to create a work that provides meaning  to the people who live here.  My summer independent study project is to explore this relationship between place and the people who live in the place, through memory of the people who live there, and the history of the place.  I know this is a broad idea and expect this idea will be defined more as I go along further with the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment