August 15, 2011

End of another food fishery season

I was down by the cove bank this morning and saw a car driving pass the community stage.  The car stopped, a gentleman leaned out from the window, looked over the deserted slipway for a minute or so and drove up.  When he saw me, he stopped the car.  It turned out he was one of the gentlemen I talked to last week.  He said, "it was all over."  The food fishery ended yesterday.  The way he uttered those words gave a sense of "disappointment", or "loss", his eyes were looking pass me into the distance.   I will always remember that.

A new sign indicating the launch is not safe to use is up again.  The launch is managed by DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) and there are talks that they will close the launch instead of repairing it.  I can't imagine Pouch Cove without this slipway where stories, memories become alive during the recreational fishery.


No comments:

Post a Comment