July 02, 2011

An evening with friends

June 30, 2011

It was a social evening having my neighbours (Herb, Fannie and Edith) over for dinner.  It was not intended to be an interview.  However, I did get some recording done when the conversation turned to "oral history" of Pouch Cove - about the fishermen, the Orangeman Society, and the SUF Hall (Society of United Fishermen).

Edith told us about her husband's seal hunt experiences "....the man's body was covered in salt except for his face which was covered with a piece of cloth.  When the body arrived in St. John's, the body was ok, but the face was badly damaged ..."

Herb phoned next morning to ask me not to use the recording for my project.  He found the conversation was too political around different religions and people.

I realize I often mix the "oral history" and my independent study on Igor stories together in my research.  But I have to remind myself that they are all memories and they have different values.  My work is to piece them together.  Perhaps the juxtaposition of something "general" and something "specific" is not a bad idea.

Audio: A6PCP6a, b and c (29 min)

No comments:

Post a Comment