July 04, 2011

Shorelines/Liminality

I have gone back to explore shorelines.  The trails around Pouch Cove are mostly along the shoreline and I am always mesmerized by the intrinsic patterns of these deep cracks and fissures.  The term liminality was first used in my work by Emma Westecott during a critique in class.  She asked me to look into the meaning of "liminality" and how it relates to my work.  There was a call for submission for new work with an open theme, so I took this opportunity to develop a piece with the concept of liminality in mind.

Here is an excerpt from my proposal:
"Shoreline defines edge, boundary.  Shoreline connotes the liminal space between sea and land.  The rugged shorelines around Pouch Cove continue to fascinate me.  The rocks and cliffs that form the shorelines have been mainly carved out by waves.  The line carved out by nature is fluid and loose, unlike the boundary created by humans, which is rigid and inflexible.  Shoreline also represents to me power and vulnerability, resistance and submission - the duality in nature.... For this project I will work with bronze and glass.  Glass is transparent and translucent (integrity of water), bronze is thick and opaque (integrity of rock).  Juxtaposing two contrasting medium into one work will create tension and new visual experience."









No comments:

Post a Comment