July 15, 2011

a thought....

I picked up some long green grass on a walk yesterday and started arranging them with the image of the wiggling fence in mind.  I did an encaustic piece with the grass.  I am back to fences again in my work.  Perhaps I am looking at containment and preservation, to build a fence is to "contain memory and story of the place".






I have been asking people to express their association with the place and what is important to them about the place.  People (the community) look out for each other, the ocean, fishing are expressed by all of the local people whom I talked to.  A thought comes to mind this morning:  do I really need to build a sculpture here to represent the place when the elements that describe the place already exist?  Why do I need to create a sculpture (on site) that represents the power of the ocean when the ocean is just right there for us to look at and to feel?





People talked about fishing stages, flakes in the interviews.  I would like to get a few locals who can help me build some models of stages and flakes.  I want to pursue this.

No comments:

Post a Comment